What’s on your feet right now? If you’re like me, odds are you’ve been duped by clever marketing. The latest crowd-hyped and “cloud boosted” shoe technology isn’t doing your health or performance any favors.
In this conversation, we chat with a man that’s converted 750,000+ people to a new way of moving.
Consider where your information comes from, and do your own research Click To TweetYour feet literally connect you to Earth, and the body has intricate systems in place to read minute signal Click To TweetQuality shoes at a minimum should have a wide toebox & minimal padding Click To Tweet
Podcast Sponsor Banner
Steven Sashen is a serial entrepreneur who has never had a job, a former professional stand-up comic and award-winning screenwriter, and a competitive sprinter — one of the fastest men over 55 in the country. He and his wife, Lena Phoenix, co-founded the footwear company Xero Shoes, creating “a MOVEMENT movement” that has helped hundreds of thousands of people Live Life Feet First with happy, healthy, strong feet in addictively comfortable footwear. Steven and Lena also appeared on Shark Tank, where they turned down a $400,000 offer from Kevin O’Leary.
Top things you’ll learn from Steven
- Benefits of training in the morning
- Summary of the benefits of barefoot movement
- 1/4 bones in feet and ankles
- More nerve endings than everywhere but your fingertips and lips
- Spread toes for better balance
- 17% weaker with arch support in 12 weeks
- Link between foot strength and injury prevention
- Barefoot vs minimalist vs zero drop footwear
- Consequences of traditional “maximalist” running shoes
- What CEOs of top running shoe companies say in private
- How we consumers got duped by fake running science
- Benefits of running on a hard surface
- Foam padding logically doesn’t belong in running shoes
- Why well-meaning shoes store employees sell you the wrong shoes
- Shoe width matters
- Picking the right socks
- How to start with barefoot/minimalist shoes and avoid the pain and injury
- Factors to consider when evaluating shoes
- Why Steven created Xero shoes
- How to choose the right pair of Xero shoes
- Is Xero’s unbeatable sole warranty legit?
- How often you should replace your shoes
- Steven’s top teachers
- Overspeed training
- Disspelling the biggest footwear myths
- Training less for better health
- Consider your information source, and test for yourself
Connect with Xero Shoes
This podcast is brought to you by
Nick Urban is a Biohacker, Data Scientist, Athlete, Founder of Outliyr, and the Host of the Mind Body Peak Performance Podcast. He is a Certified CHEK Practitioner, a Personal Trainer, and a Performance Health Coach. Nick is driven by curiosity which has led him to study ancient medical systems (Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Hermetic Principles, German New Medicine, etc), and modern science.
Music by Luke Hall
Subscribe to MBPP!
What did you think about this episode? Drop a comment below or leave a review on Apple Music to let me know. I use your feedback to bring you the most helpful guests and content.