In the crowds I hung out with, talking about emotions often elicited eye rolls and yawns.
That changed when I discovered the science of emotions and affect. We now know of a strong link between emotional health, mental health, and physical health.
This episode will unveil how you can understand and persuade like many of history's most influential leaders.
Deeply understanding emotions is a real-world, cultivatable superpower Click To Tweet The person feeling the strongest emotion will spread it to those around them Click To Tweet "We can suppress emotions, but they'll come out in other places, often inappropriately" Click To Tweet "If our EQ is poor, our quality of life is poor" Click To Tweet Emotions are intertwined into everything we do. Strategically use them in any situation to get a better outcome. Click To Tweet At least 50% of communication is non-verbal Click To Tweet
Podcast Sponsor Banner
About Irvine Nugent
Irvine Nugent, Ph.D., helps people harness the power of their emotions so they can have deeper connections, make better decisions, and increase their influence. He is an internationally recognized trainer and top-rated keynote speaker and is one of the few worldwide certified FACS coders, who are experts in reading facial emotions. A gifted storyteller, his programs are infused with passion, dynamism, and of course his natural Irish humor. He is the author of Leadership Lessons From The Pub.
Top things you’ll learn from Irvine Nugent
- Why you can't afford to ignore your emotions
- Tips to start becoming emotionally aware
- Effective leaders don't necessarily have a special title
- Compassion, ability to motivate, and ability to listen matter most
- Irvine's 4 pillars of EQ
- Looking beneath your triggers to find trauma or something that needs healing. Fix it, and the trigger will lessen
- How to assert your control and buy time to respond thoughtfully rather than react impulsively
- The 7-second reset process
- When rehersing situations, be sure to imagine the emotional charge. Otherwise you're missing a crucial part of the event
- The different channels of communication
- How to strategically use Zoom to enhance effectiveness
- Reading the room
- Spot micro-expressions and leaked emotions
- The 7 universal emotions
- Culture adds a layer of “display rules”
- Mind-blowing power of visualization
- Skill acquisition
- The power of story (for good or bad)
- Anger is not bad, it's information
Connect with Irvine
This podcast is brought to you by
Nick Urban is a Biohacker, Data Scientist, Athlete, Founder of Outliyr, and the Host of the Mind Body Peak Performance Podcast. He is a Certified CHEK Practitioner, a Personal Trainer, and a Performance Health Coach. Nick is driven by curiosity which has led him to study ancient medical systems (Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Hermedic Principles, etc), and modern science.
Music by Luke Hall
Subscribe to MBPP!
What did you think about this episode? Drop a comment below or leave a review on Apple Music to let me know. I use your feedback to bring you the most helpful guests and content.