I've had a long-standing fascination with herbalism and botanical medicine.
I regularly take adaptogenic supplements. I'm often outdoors, usually without access to modern medicine.
Whether I go down on my bike and get cut up, or need a quick pick-me-up, our guest this week has natural solutions.
Podcast Sponsor Banner
Shannon Stone is a clinical herbalist diagnosed with endometriosis at age 19. She lived in misery, following her doctor’s guidelines without any relief. At age 22, they told her that the disease had progressed to the point which where she would never have kids. She was also diagnosed with ADHD. Shannon began researching and used herbs, supplements, diet, and lifestyle to completely turn her life around. She got pregnant at age 27, and successfully treats her ADHD. She’s living her best life and helping other women do the same.
Top things you’ll learn from Shannon
- Her custom ADHD formula
- How she got into nomading
- Finding credible information pre-internet
- Why Shannon loves herbs over other forms of medicine
- Powerful effects
- Minimal side effects
- Don't need “meds to counteract the side effects of other meds”
- Differences between herbs and synthetics
- The best herbs to start with
- Why Root Cause Medicine trumps conventional approaches
- “Hard hitting herbs” with more pronounced effects
- The consequences of ignoring and masking symptoms
- Different forms of herbal preparations and when to choose each
- Essential oils
- Why everyone should stock grain alcohol in their pantry
- Basic herbal essentials and ther uses
- Raw honey
- Apple cider vinegar
- How to make “fire cider” for bulletproof immunity
- Shannon's thoughts on adaptogens
- Herbs to boost
- Physical performance
- Mental performance
- Magnesium glycinate
Books, Videos, Information, & Other Resources
- Article: Why Nick loves oregano essential oil
- Podcast: The Plant Path
- Books by Rosemary Gladstar (one “flavor” of herbalism)
- Books by Matthew Wood (another herbalism style)
Tools, Gadgets, Gear, & Technology
- Nick uses a Plant Therapy Essential Oils Set
Connect with Shannon
This podcast is brought to you by
Nick Urban is a Biohacker, Data Scientist, Athlete, Founder of Outliyr, and the Host of the Mind Body Peak Performance Podcast. He is a Certified CHEK Practitioner, a Personal Trainer, and a Performance Health Coach. Nick is driven by curiosity which has led him to study ancient medical systems (Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Hermedic Principles, etc), and modern science.
Music by Luke Hall
Subscribe to MBPP!
What did you think about this episode? Drop a comment below or leave a review on Apple Music to let me know. I use your feedback to bring you the most helpful guests and content.