Algae is hands-down my favorite superfood. I first came across it in 2016 after hearing Catherine on another podcast. The research behind algae has only compounded since then.
In this episode, you’ll learn the science, benefits, uses, and how to source this potent superfood.
Episode highlightsSpirulina has been endorsed by 50+ Olympic athletes Click To Tweet Algae is the best way to get the benefits of plant-based nutrition without any work Click To Tweet There are 40+ vitamins and minerals in algae Click To Tweet Motivation is the necessity of invention Click To Tweet NASA: algae has 1000X more nutrients than any other fruit or vegetable Click To Tweet United Nations: answer to world hunger (3X more protein than steak) since 1974 Click To Tweet The only thing wrong with algae was its obscurity and lack of quality control Click To Tweet Each tablet (the size of a baby aspirin) has the same nutrition as a plate of veggies but without the cooking, cleaning, eating, or mess. Click To Tweet 1lb of algae has the nutritional equivalent of 551 lbs of fruits & vegetables Click To Tweet "Chlorophyll builds your blood" Click To Tweet
Podcast Sponsor Banner
About Catherine Arnston & ENERGYbits
Catherine Arnston is the Founder And CEO Of Energybits®. She started ENERGYbits after her sister was diagnosed with breast cancer and advised by her oncologist that an alkaline diet would help her heal. Catharine immediately sprung into action to help her sister research alkaline foods and in the process she discovered algae. When Catharine learned that algae was the most alkaline, plant-based, nutrient-dense food in the world and had been used for fifty years in Asia to improve health and longevity, she knew she had discovered something big (and yes, her sister fully recovered – thanks for asking). As Catharine dug into the science of algae, she learned it had 64% protein, 40 vitamins/minerals and was endorsed by the United Nations and NASA as the most nutrient dense food in the world. She also discovered 100,000 studies documenting its long list of benefits and it was the most sustainable, eco-friendly food crop in the world. And yet algae remained virtually unknown outside of Asia. Yet algae remained virtually unknown outside of Asia. How could this be possible? Catharine knew algae could be a game-changer for our health, our children and our world if she could only convince people it wasn’t weird. And so ENERGYbits was born.
Top things you’ll learn from Catherine
- Came across algae looking for something: fast, easy, nutrient-dense, green, and that people will actually consume
- Over 100 years of research and 100,000 studies on the health, nutritional, sports performance, and recovery benefits of algae
- Knowledge is siloed away because researchers don’t talk to consumers
- Used for centuries by Egyptians, Japanese
- Multi-dillion dollar argicultural crop
- Effortless plant-based nutrition in seconds
- 11 years ago Catherine decided to devote her life to educating the public on this superfood
- How Catherine became the leading educator on algae
- Catherine’s collected and analyzed over 3,000 (of the 100,000) studies available
- Algae is a food, not supplement
- In 2019 the US government passed the Algae Agriculture Act
- Major corporations like Unilever and Reebok
- 99% bioavailability
- Complete protein containing 18 of the 20 amino acids
- Phytates in certain vegetables like almonds can interfere with iron absorption
- Spirulina is a bacteria (no cell wall) so it absorbs very rapidly into bloodsteram
- Algae is its own food category consisting of macro-algae and micro-algae
- Macro-algae is virtually devoid of nutrients but high in iodine and fiber
- Algae is safe because they are gown in fresh water (controlled environment)
- Phycocyanin in spirulina is anti-angiogenic, blocks the ACE2 receptors, boosts energy, increases focus, and satisfies hunger.
- Spirulina is a vasodialtor, high in essential fatty acids (omega-3), boron
- Increases VO2 max. High iron and alkalinity increases ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen.
- Helps with elevation issues
- Kills hunger and sugar cravings by providing critical nutrients without feeding bacterial overgrowths
- Stacks nicely with red light therapy and cryotherapy
- Chlorella is a fat-based pigment that increases cellular membrane permiability allowing nutrients to come and go into cells
- Take chlorella at night to augment body’s natural detoxification process. Also contains sleep boosting tryptophan.
- Supplements alagae can replace (much better absorption)
- Fish oil
- Krill oil
- Buying algae
- Choose brand that specializes in it
- Check country of origin
- Grown outdoors (max chlorophyll)
- Strain of spirulina
- Method of drying (cold pressed or low-heat to preserve enzymes)
- Third-party safety and purity testing in USA
- ENERGYbits discount code NICKURBAN gets you 20% off.
Connect with ENERGYbits
This podcast is brought to you by
Nick Urban is a biohacker, data scientist, athlete, founder of Outliyr, and the host of the Mind Body Peak Performance Podcast. He is a certified CHEK Practitioner, a Certified Personal Trainer, and a Performance Health Coach. Nick is a student of ancient medical systems (Ayurveda, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Hermedic Principles, etc), and modern science.
Music by Luke Hall
Subscribe to MBPP!
What did you think about this episode? Drop a comment below or leave a review on Apple Music to let me know. I use your feedback to bring you the most helpful guests and content.